Every year NGO CSW/NY presents the Woman of Distinction Award to a woman in recognition of her leadership in the struggle for gender equality, human rights and women’s empowerment.
In 2020 as we commemorate the 25th Anniversary of the Fourth World Conference on Women, Beijing +25, we have decided to honor five women, one from each United Nations Region: Africa, Asia-Pacific, Latin America Caribbean, Eastern Europe, Western Europe and others.
The five Women of Distinction will receive their awards at the 2020 NGO CSW Consultation Day on Sunday, 8 March. They will also be introduced at the NGO CSW Reception on 10 March.
The deadline to submit nominations is 7 December 2019. See below for criteria and details.
Criteria for selection:
The honoree should be:
- A leader of distinction in her field of expertise who has made significant contributions to the Beijing Platform for Action with demonstrated results;
- Outstanding young feminist leader who has made contributions to policy or projects related to the Beijing Platform for Action and who demonstrates promise in leading the work in the next generation;
- A woman or girl who has advocated for social change and is an effective motivator and communicator;
- A leader who is committed to social change and implementing action plans to improve the lives of women and girls when she goes back to her home.
- The Women of Distinction will be selected from the five United Nations Regions and the group will represent diversity in age, social cultural mix, urban-rural, and expertise in different critical areas of the Beijing Platform for Action.
Honorees must be available to travel to New York City in order to be present for NGO CSW Consultation Day, 8 March 2020.
Please e-mail names of nominees with the following supporting documents to email@example.com no later than 7 December 2019, midnight EST.
- Cover letter by nominee, with title, name of NGO, email, phone, address.
- Curriculum vitae of nominee
- Letter of recommendation with name, title, email address and relationship to nominee
Applications are considered complete when the entire set of documents are submitted. Only completed applications will be considered.
A total of $5,000 will be available to help defray travel costs to be shared among the honorees.
Nominees must make their own travel and accommodation arrangements.
See the names and bios of previous Women of Distinction on the NGO CSW/NY website.